How were you introduced to Barre and what was your first barre class like?
I was introduced to Barre when I met Jessica in a bible study in 2017. My first class was Barre Bounce! I remember being scared before I took the class, but boy did I enjoy it so much! I was dripping sweat thereafter and legs were like jelly.
What does Barre do for you physically? What keeps you returning to class regularly?
Barre strengthens my mind and body. I love being with the community. I sometimes come with a friend, sometimes by myself but that’s alright too because the Barre 2 Barre family is so warm and loving.
Tell us about your journey with barre and towards attending BarreAmped teacher training with Barre 2 Barre.
I wanted to do something on the side to impact lives, empower others to become fitter mind and body. I feel I am at a good phase in life to be doing something like this. So, when the teacher training opportunity came, I jumped on board!
What new and useful discoveries did you make about yourself and/or your barre practice at the Singapore teacher training? Are there things you’ve learned or experienced in barre that apply to other areas of your life?
I realised I like upbeat music and love using the rhythm and beats of a song to teach. If there is one thing I’ve experienced that could be carried over to other parts of life it would be the “mind over matter” mantra. Barre is very mental, and often when we adopt the “I can” spirit, we let our bodies surprise us by the limits it can push!
Who would you recommend Barre 2 Barre Academy to?
I would recommend it to my good friend Gretchen. She loves barre too and is patient and nurturing!
What does wellness and being healthy mean to you?
To me, mental and emotional well being comes first. I always believe that if you have a strong mind, physical benefits will follow. I also believe in eating well and taking supplements to fill my nutritional gaps.
How did you get into BarreAmped and what are your future plans for barre?
In the near future, barre would be my own means to keep fit as well as help others get fit. In the long run, I am not sure if I would climb the ranks to become a barre teacher trainer *shocked face*
What is your favourite way (aside from barre) to keep fit and find some downtime?
I love tennis, ballet and nature walks.
Downtime-Netflix, hanging out with friends and massages! One of my favourite places is Balinese Thai.
List your three dinner party dream guests, what would you talk about and what dish would you prepare for them?
1. Nick and Kanae Vujicic: I have always been inspired by this couple. I would talk to Nick about how he overcame the valleys in his life as well as ask him what keeps him going and gives him hope. Life Without Limbs is a must read. Of course, I would prepare traditional Singaporean fare for them.
2. Joseph Schooling: I know everyone has heard about his road towards the Olympic games but it would be so awesome to hear from him in an informal dinner setting. I would ask him in advance what his favourite fruits are and prepare a vegan protein smoothie for him.
3. Demi LeighTebow: South African Model and Beauty Queen, Ms Universe 2017. She is beautiful inside and out, my role model. I would speak to her about her motivation in joining beauty pageants as well as the humanitarian work she is involved in. Food-Singaporean fare again! HAHA
List your 3 favourite travel destinations, and list 3 more that you want to travel to and why.
1. Melbourne. The place is easy to get around, people are friendly and one of my best friends Trang lives there!
2. The United Kingdom. I studied there for 4 years hence going back would bring back many bittersweet memories.
3. New Zealand. Breathtaking nature.
3 more that you want to travel to and why
1. Maldives It is a popular exotic destination and I love beach holidays.
2. United States
3. Canada. I want to visit Banff National Park and the Butchart Gardens